Verification of Employment and/or Income (Employee)
The University of Wisconsin uses The Work Number® to provide automated employment and income verifications on our employees.
The Work Number is a fast and secure way to provide proof of your employment or income—a necessary step in many of today’s life events involving credit, financing, or securing of benefits or services. The Work Number simplifies the verification process and accelerates credit decisions through an online system available to verifiers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. More than 200,000 credentialed verifiers rely on The Work Number for rapid access to information critical to their decision process, and over 2,900 employers nationwide have entrusted The Work Number to provide this important service on behalf of their employees.
How to Initiate a VOE Request:
- Please direct the lending institution, property manager or
other business requesting employment or income information to contact The Work Number. The web address for The Work Number is theworknumber.com. The phone number for Commercial verifications is 1-800-367-5690.
- Please note that you may be required to provide your Social Security Number and the University of Wisconsin’s Employer Code: 18032.
- If you run into any issues with the VOE process or have any other questions regarding The Work Number, please contact your institution Human Resources Office.
Here’s How it Works:
- The University of Wisconsin System Service Center securely transmits employment and income data to The Work Number on a regular cycle, so the information remains current.
- When you apply for credit or other services where proof of employment or income is required, you provide consent to the credit grantor to verify that information when signing the application.
- The verifier—who has been carefully screened and credentialed before gaining access to the system—looks up your record on The Work Number database.
- The verifier must provide a valid reason or permissible purpose for requesting the information, as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- With the above conditions met, the verifier can validate your employment or income in seconds, accelerating the decision process and helping you obtain the credit you deserve.
What is The Work Number used for?
- Loans (Mortgage, Vehicle, Personal, etc)
- Social Services
- Potential employers
What is The Work Number not used for?
- Data prior to the past 3 years
- Background investigations
- Job descriptions
- Buyback of retirement
- Verification of hours
- Probability of rehire
- Performance reviews
- I-9 Process / Employment Eligibility
- Financial Aid ‘Independent Verification’
- Professional Licensure Applications
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (please download and follow the linked verification request instructions)
For more information on services provided through The Work Number®, please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.