Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program
The University of Wisconsin System is a qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) and Temporary Expanded Public Service Loan Forgiveness (TEPSLF) programs.
The UW-Shared Services (UWSS) Verifications Office processes employment verifications for the PSLF program for all UW campuses.
- Complete and print Pages 1 and 2 of the federal PSLF/TEPSLF form found on the Federal StudentAid website
- Sections 1 and 2 (Page 1) must be completed, signed, and dated by the employee.
- Employees can complete Section 3 on their own or submit to our office for completion. When completing Section 3, use the following information:
- Employer name: University of Wisconsin System
- FEIN: 396006492
- Employer address: 660 W. Washington Avenue, Suite 201, Madison, WI 53703
- Question 9: Yes (skip questions 10-13)
- Complete and print the UWSS cover sheet
- Include full name, phone number, and preferred email address.
- If known, include your 8-digit UW System EmplID (this number is often different from your campus ID.) If not known, leave blank.
- Select one of the following two options:
- You would like our office to submit the completed form to MOHELA on your behalf.
- You would like to submit the form to your servicer once verified and signed.
- Indicate your personal mailing address or fax number for us to return the original. Our office will not send the completed forms via email.
- Include any notes you have about your employment history that may help our team (e.g., I would like you to verify part-time employment as well as full-time employment).
- Submit the cover sheet plus pages 1-2 of the PSLF/TEPSLF form to our office using one of the following four methods. NEVER send attachments with social security numbers via email. All forms containing social security numbers via email will be deleted.
- Fax: (608) 890-2327 OR (608) 890-2371
- UWSS Verifications Office
660 W Washington Ave, Suite 201
Madison, WI 53703
- Secure dropbox available on 2nd floor between 7AM and 6PM, Monday through Friday.
- Our office will only accept forms sent via email if each of the following criteria are met:
We will not be able to forward emailed documents on to MOHELA. They will be verified, signed, and returned to you at the email sent from.
- You are able to provide your 8-digit UW SYSTEM EMPLID (not necessarily your local campus ID) so we can find your employment history.
If you're unsure of what your EMPLID is:
Current employees: EMPLIDs are on your paystub.
Former employees: your local HR office should be able to assist OR you will need to submit your PSLF via fax, mail, or drop off (instructions are on the website indicated below).
If you're unable to locate your EMPLID, please fax, mail, or drop-off your paperwork.
- Your entire SSN and DOB must be removed from the attachment and body of the email. Including both page 1 and the top of page 2 of the PSLF application. Any attachments sent with your SSN on either page or in the body of the email will be deleted.
- The email is sent to email@example.com with the following Subject Line: [First Name] [Last Name] – EMPLID: [XXXXXXXX] – PSLF Request
Email requests will be responded to in the order received (this may take up to 3 business days).
The UWSS Verifications Office will confirm the begin/end dates and average hours worked with the information in the HRS Database. If there are significant changes to what the employee indicated for begin/end dates or average hours, a copy of the job history will be printed and sent to the employee with the completed employment verification.
Our office will also confirm the following information on the PSLF/TEPSLF Certification & Application.
- The form completed by the employee is not expired
- Page 1 is signed and dated by the employee
- Employer name, FEIN, and address are correct
- Questions 10-13 are left blank
PSLF/TEPSLF forms will be verified within 3 business days of receipt. Employees can expect to receive their forms in the mail within 5-8 business days (or via fax within 3-4 business days).
If it has been more than 7 days since a form was faxed to our office or more than 14 days since a form was mailed to our office, send your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure our office received your paperwork. (Do not attach PSLF paperwork to your email unless your social security number has been redacted from ALL pages).
- All campuses fall under University of Wisconsin System. If an employee transfers from one campus to another without a gap in employment, only one verification form is required.
- If there is a gap in employment, separate forms must be completed for each of the time periods.
- Part-time hours and full-time hours must be indicated on separate PSLF/TEPSLF forms.
- Hours Per Week are typically calculated by the FTE number provided by HR staff: 0.5 FTE = 20 hours; 1.0 FTE = 40 hours (the exception is for LTE and Student positions – see next point). If an employee works two 0.5 FTE positions at the same time, it counts as 1.0 FTE (40 hours/week).
- For some positions (i.e., student help, LTE, etc.), hours worked per week will also be verified through payroll by determining how many hours per paycheck were recorded then averaged for the length of each position. If the total sum of average weekly hours is less than 30, the position will be indicated as part-time. Average hours totaling more than 30 hours will be indicated as full-time.
- Hours worked cannot be verified for positions that were paid via lump sum unless the employee can provide a copy of their appointment letter or contract indicating the specific position will be full-time (30+ hours/week).
- If an employee disagrees with the information verified by the UWSS office, they should confirm HRS Job Employment data with their local campus HR Office.
- Any questions not addressed above can be sent to email@example.com for review. Never attach PSLF paperwork to an email if it contains your social security number.