Reminder To University Staff: Review & Bank Leave Balances
Eligible University Staff employees have an annual opportunity to bank and/or request a pay out of their unused vacation. All banking or pay out requests must be submitted by December 31, 2020. Personal and Legal Holidays are not eligible to be banked or paid out.
To be eligible to bank or request a cash payout of unused vacation, you must meet the years of service requirement. Review UW System Administrative Policy 1210 (formerly BN 1) Vacation, Paid Leave Banks, and Vacation Cash Payouts for details on banking or cashing out vacation. All requests to bank or receive vacation cash payout must be received by December 31, 2020.
You may review your leave balances and submit your banking request online via Self Service:
- Log into the MyUW portal for UW System Institutions or for UW-Madison.
- Go to the "Time and Absence" module.
- Click on Timesheet.
- Click on Absence Balances tab on left side of screen or in the tab below timesheet section. Conversion Eligibility will be displayed between the Posted leave balances and the Projected leave balances.
- Follow instructions for converting vacation to banked leave: Banked Leave Tipsheet.
- Review Vacation Carryover, Personal Holiday and Legal Holiday balances. Legal holiday must be used by 12/31 or it will be lost.
As a reminder, In October, an interim policy was released for University Staff employees which allows unused vacation from calendar year 2019 (January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019) to be carried over for one additional year. Additionally, unused personal holiday from calendar year 2020 (January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020) may be carried forward. All Vacation and Personal Holiday hours carried over under this temporary extension must be used by December 31, 2021.
For more detailed information on vacation, paid leave banks, and vacation cash payouts, review:
- UW System Administrative Policy 1210 (formerly BN 1) Vacation, Paid Leave Banks, and Vacation Cash Payouts
- UW System Administrative Policy 1211 (formerly BN 2) Personal Holiday and Legal Holiday Administration
- UW-Madison Vacation Policy
Source: UW System Human Resources