HR, Payroll and Benefits News

W-2 Forms (Wage and Tax Statements) Now Available Online

Electronic copies of the 2019 W-2 Forms (Wage and Tax Statements) are now available online in the MyUW portal. Employees will receive a paper copy of the W-2 Form via U.S. mail by January 31, 2020. Note: Paper copies are mailed to all employees except those who elected to receive an electronic only W-2 by 10 a.m. on January 15, 2020.

Instructions to View/print 2019 W-2 Form. Note: You must be logged into a UW network (either connected directly to a UW network, or remotely by using VPN) in order to be able to access your W-2.

Availability of Other Tax Forms

Some employees will receive one or more additional tax forms from the University of Wisconsin. Note: These additional forms are not applicable to all employees.

Examples of additional forms an employee may receive include:

    • Form 1095-C - An email communication will be sent to employees who will receive this form.
    • The Fellowship Letter is typically available in February.
    • The 1042-S Forms are typically available online in the MyUW portal in March. Employees who have chosen electronic delivery through the Glacier System may have access to their forms earlier; others will have them mailed to their home address. Instructions to View/print 1042-S Form and Fellowship Letter.


Filing Taxes

Employees should use their W-2 Form, not their final 2019 earnings statement, to file taxes. Some employees have had adjustments made to their 2019 taxable earnings since the last 2019 payroll was paid and may have an additional earnings statement generated reflecting these adjustments. These adjustments will already be reflected on the W-2 Form that the employee receives.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will begin accepting returns on January 27, 2020 for the 2019 tax filing season. Employees may want to consider filing their return as soon as all tax forms are received to minimize the chance of a fraudulent return being processed using their Social Security number, or Individual Tax Payer Identification number. More information is available on the IRS website.

If you have questions, contact your Payroll office.

Source: UW-Shared Services, Service Operations