UW Employees May Choose Electronic-only Distribution of W-2 and 1095-C Forms
UW employees now have the option of receiving all future W-2 and1095-C forms each January via electronic-only distribution, thus eliminating paper form distribution via U.S. mail.
The W-2 form states an employee’s compensation and tax withholding amounts for the previous calendar year. The 1095-C form documents that an employee who worked full-time for all or some months in the previous year was offered health insurance coverage.
How Do I Choose Electronic-only Distribution of my W-2 and 1095-C Forms?
To choose electronic-only distribution of your W-2 and 1095-C forms, you are required to complete a consent form for both the W-2 form and the 1095-C form. Both consent forms must be submitted by January 11, 2019 for electronic-only distribution of these tax forms in 2019.
If you consent to W-2 and 1095-C form electronic-only distribution, you may withdraw your consent at any time. Your consent will cease if you terminate UW employment. Note: These consent options do not apply to the 1042-S form. 1042-S forms are available electronically in the Glacier Online Tax Compliance System for employees who choose electronic delivery through that system.
If you do not complete the consent forms, your W-2 and 1095-C forms will continue to be mailed to the mailing address you have listed in the MyUW portal. You may review and update your address in the MyUW portal via the portal Personal Information tile.
Why Should I Consent to Electronic-only Distribution?
- Secure method of delivery with less risk of lost or stolen forms.
- Electronic forms are available earlier than mailed paper forms.
- Reduced administrative costs of generating W-2 and 1095-C forms.
- Environmentally friendly.
Completing the Electronic-only Consent Form(s)
The option to choose electronic-only distribution is now available. Follow the instructions below. It’s quick and easy:
- Log into the MyUW portal for UW-Madison or for all other UW System institutions.
- Go to the Payroll Information tile and select “Tax Statements.”
- On the Tax Statements page, choose “Consent to receive W-2 electronically” and/or “Consent to receive 1095-C electronically.” Reminder: you must complete the two separate consent forms to choose electronic-only distribution for both the W-2 form and the 1095-C form.
- Read the provided instructions.
- Check the “I consent…” checkbox.
- Choose the “Submit” button.
- You will receive an email confirming your consent within 24 hours. You will also receive an email by January 31, 2019 alerting you to the electronic availability of your W-2 and/or 1095-C forms.
Withdrawing Consent: The same instructions noted above apply to withdrawing consent, except that an alternative checkbox must be chosen to submit consent withdrawal. An email is sent within 24 hours of submitting withdrawal.
If you have any questions regarding choosing electronic-only distribution of your W-2 and 1095-C forms, contact your payroll office.
Source: UW Service Center