Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Appointees: Option to Bank Vacation in an Annual Leave Reserve Account
Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Appointees (FA/AS/LI) with a 12-month appointment are eligible to bank vacation into an Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) after they have completed 10 fiscal years of employment.
- Employee completes 10 fiscal years in May, 2016.
- July 1, 2016 (beginning of 11th fiscal year) employee is eligible to accrue vacation to be banked.
- July 1, 2017 (beginning of 12th fiscal year) employee is offered the option of banking up to 40 hours of vacation or vacation carryover as of 6/30/17.
Note: Employee is eligible to bank up to 80 hours per year of vacation in ALRA after completing 25 years of employment.
How is Vacation Allocated?
FA/AS/LI vacation is allocated on a fiscal year basis. Unused vacation can be carried over into the following fiscal year, but must be used by the end of that fiscal year or it will be lost.
Your July 2017 Leave Report
Your July Leave Report will indicate how many hours of unused vacation you are eligible to bank into ALRA. You are allowed to bank any unused vacation or vacation carryover as of June 30, 2017 (up to the allowable hours). If your institution uses Self-Service, you may be able to convert hours into your ALRA account via Self-Service with your July leave reporting. Check with your Payroll Coordinator to see if you may use the Self-Service option.
If you meet the Eligibility Requirements for ALRA:
- You may bank vacation in an ALRA account to use at a future date (banked hours do not expire). You may accumulate up to 40 hours per fiscal year in your ALRA account after completing 10 fiscal years of employment and up to 80 hours after completing 25 fiscal years of employment. There is no limit to the total number of hours (balance) in your ALRA account.
- With your supervisor\'s approval, you may use ALRA at any time. ALRA can be used in any circumstance in which you are allowed to use paid leave.
- If you terminate employment, any unused ALRA will be paid to you at your current wage rate as a lump sum payment.
- Banking Schedule (the amount of leave that can be banked is prorated if your appointment is part-time)
- You are eligible to bank up to 40 hours of vacation into ALRA per year after completing 10 fiscal years of employment. Option to bank is the fiscal year following eligibility. (See example above)
- You are eligible to bank up to 80 hours of vacation into ALRA per year after completing 25 fiscal years of employment. Option to bank is the fiscal year following eligibility. (See example above)
- If you elect to bank hours to ALRA, the vacation hours you want to bank will first come from any remaining vacation carryover you had as of June 30, 2017. If you allocated more unused vacation to ALRA than you had as vacation carryover, the additional hours to be banked will come from your vacation balance as of June 30.
If you have questions, please contact the Payroll Coordinator.
Source: UW Service Center